Previous experience and conditions to fulfil in order to be eligible to apply:
- Applicants must have earned an M.D. degree from a recognized medical school and be registered as a medical practitioner and authorized to practice medicine in his/her home country.
- Applicants must have at least two years of documented clinical experience of independent work at a hospital. Internship is not counted as part of this clinical experience.
Applicants must have a good command of English, documented by an internationally recognized proficiency test such as: TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or equivalent. TOEFL total score 575 and 4.5 on written test (paper based) or a total score of 90 and 20 on written test (Internet based test). IELTS with an overall mark of at least 6.5 and no band less than 5.5. This is applicable only if the applicant is from a country where English is not the native language.
The Specialist Medical Training Program (SMTP) can only be offered on the condition that there is a public sponsor/employer in the resident’s home country accepting to defray all related costs: tuition fees and living expenses in Sweden. The sponsor may be a public authority, government ministry, hospital or similar. The content and conditions of the training program will be specified in a formal agreement between the sponsor and Sahlgrenska International Care.
The specialist training position is an unpaid position. Sahlgrenska International Care does not offer any scholarships. Private funding is not possible.
Fill out our application form and send it to us along with the following:
- Certified copies of graduation certificate, internship certificate and university transcript. Do not send originals. An authorized translation into English must be enclosed if the documents are issued in any other language
- A cover letter stating clinical as well as research interest, ambitions, desires and professional goals
- A certified copy of your licence to practice medicine
- Certificate(s) from your employer verifying at least two years of documented clinical experience
- A Certificate of Good Standing (no older than three months) issued by relevant authority in the country/countries where you hold a medical licence
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation from recognized scientific or clinical medical institutions
- Financial guarantee from sponsor
- TOEFL or IELTS certificate (or equivalent)
- One photograph
- An application fee of SEK 500 must be paid into our account (please include receipt):
- BIC: SWEDSESS
IBAN: SE02 8000 0810 5969 4565 6145
Beneficiary name: Sahlgrenska International Care
Bank name and address: Swedbank AB, 404 80 Göteborg, Sweden
- For payment within Sweden, pay SEK 500 to bankgiro 737-5918.
Please send your application by mail to
Sahlgrenska International Care
P.O. Box 7163
SE-402 33 Gothenburg
or if sent by courier, to
Sahlgrenska International Care
Medicinaregatan 12 a
413 90 Gothenburg
or email your application, to email@example.com
After the deadline we will review the applications and select a few candidates for digital interviews on Teams. Those who successfully pass that step will be invited to a second interview.
The selection criteria include competence, experience and professional goals with the training, but also personal suitability. We strive to achieve a more even gender distribution on our Specialist Medical Training Programs.
As part of the assessment the candidates will complete a practical test and/or a simulation. In addition, sometimes the candidates are invited to observe at the clinic for 1-3 days.
References are checked in accordance with Sahlgrenska University Hospital’s HR policy.
If you are offered a position at the SMTP-program, we will issue a formal letter of acceptance for the speciality concerned and send it to you and/or your sponsor.