Do I receive a salary while doing the Specialist Medical Training Program? 

No, the Specialist Medical Training Program is an unpaid position. 

Are there any scholarships I can apply for? 

Sahlgrenska International Care does not offer any scholarships. Please refer to the education authority in your home country or to international voluntary associations. 

How long does it take to learn Swedish? 

It is individual, but it normally takes 8-12 months to reach the required level. 

I have clinical experience in my specialist field from my home country. Can this experience be counted in the Specialist Training Program? 

In most cases no, the clinical work needs to be supervised and align with the Swedish curriculum. However, there might be experiences that can be counted. Your program director will help you assess your previous experience. 

What type of certificate will I receive upon completion of the Specialist Medical Training Program? 

Upon completion of the Specialist Medical Training Program, a Completion of Swedish Specialist Medical Training certificate, issued by Sahlgrenska University Hospital, will be awarded. The Resident will also be eligible to apply for a Completion of Postgraduate Training certificate, issued by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare. This will not entitle the holder to practice the medical profession in Sweden. 

Can I work in Sweden after I have received my specialist degree? 

No, the specialist certificate issued by the National Board of Health and Welfare will not give you the right to work in Sweden, unless you have a Swedish medical licence. 

Can I finance my training program privately? 

No, you need to have a financial sponsor from your home country, such as a public authority, ministry, hospital or similar. 

Can I do a PhD degree while doing my Specialist Medical Training Program? 

There are research components included in the Program. If you are interested in more in-depth studies, enrolling in a PhD program might also be possible. For questions about PhD studies, please contact the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg. 

I will graduate as a doctor this year, am I eligible for the Specialist Medical Training Program? 

No. A minimum of two years of clinical experience (full-time) is required after graduation. Internship is not counted as part of this clinical experience.